During 7th–18th December, there’ll be two weeks stuffed with creative questioning, exciting live chats and tenser-than-the-X-Factor eviction days!
Let’s meet the Astro Support Team and the schools who’ll be challenging them in the Launch Zone…
The Astro Support Team
I’m part of Mission Control in Munich, looking after the Columbus Module and the ISS crew! I will be ‘on-console’ during Tim’s Mission.
I am researching the Gravity-Loading Countermeasure Skinsuit, which aims to re-create gravity through the body, in an attempt to help keep astronauts’ bodies protected from losing muscle and bone. Andreas Mogensen tested it on the International Space Station in September 2015 it may be that the skinsuit is involved in missions which may involve Tim in the future
I work on an experiment on the Principia mission which looks at how microbes grow in space and why this is different from how they grow on Earth. This will help us find ways to use microbes to perform tasks for us on Earth and in space, such as mining for scarce resources.
I am a space researcher investigating a device called FRED which we hope will help astronauts avoid back problems after they come back from space. I also worked at the European Astronaut Centre where all the European astronauts train and get medical support and this is where I first met Tim Peake.
I’m a spacecraft engineer who is living with penguins, working out how to do science in the coldest, most isolated and space-like place on Earth.
- Allenton Community Primary School, Allenton
- Allestree Woodlands School, Allestree
- Blackfen School For Girls, Sidcup
- Bulmershe School, Reading
- Darrick Wood Secondary School, Orpington
- Derwent Community School, Derby
- Downend School, Downend
- Fowey River Academy, Fowey
- Hillcrest School and Community College, Netherton
- Kingsmead Academy, Taunton
- Marlfields Primary Academy, Congleton
- Matravers School, Westbury
- Melksham Oak Community School, Melksham
- Park Junior School, Wellingborough
- Prendergast Vale College, Lewisham
- Rainham Mark Grammar School, Gillingham
- Smithycroft Secondary School, Glasgow
- St Bede’s RC Primary, Jarrow
- St Mary’s RC Primary School, Morecambe
- The Cooper School, Bicester
- The Folkestone Academy, Folkestone
- Trinity Church of England School, Belvedere
- Walbottle Campus, Newcastle-Upon-Tyne
- Whitdale Primary, Whitburn
- Whitmore Primary School, London